Saturday, July 9, 2011

I Have No Aunt Helen

I have no Aunt Helen
It makes me sad
If I did
She would be cheery
With freckles
Pull radishes up from the ground
Barehanded, with clipped nails
Short but still with dirt beneath them
Black grains would find a way
“Come and see this little ladybug,”
She would say
Not red with black circle dots
But yellow
It would make her remember
A story about one yellow ladybug
Unusual, Different
“More so than just on the outside,”
She’d say, shaking dirt off the radish
Yanking it hard from the ground
One speck of dirt would fly into my eye
The right one
I would shut it, and squint
Not reach up to wipe it away
Both eyes would water up
To make me worry if she noticed I wasn’t
Looking her in the eyes
 If I moved even that much
to break the connection
“Life would be simple,” she would explain,
“A lot easier for others to make up their mind
Whether they would accept him, or her, but it wasn’t
That easy for the yellow ladybug.”
She would reach over to my left side, where
My hip was connected with the earth
Start to pull again
“That’s really the most of it
What I wanted to say,”

I would suck up her words
Feel each letter turn around in my mouth
Each word disconnected from the next
I would almost be able to see them
And feel what she was saying
Knowing how important it must be
What she would be telling me
She would reach over
Grab another weed
Never with gloves on
Just barely brush the side of my shorts
With her bare hands
Just that much of a connection
Like wind when it ruffles things
My hair, the grass, the wish flowers
Bending down their fluffy heads
No good luck with those, no belief in them
I would have already blown a million
Still each day the same
The brush of her hand while reaching
For the metal rusted garden tool,
From many years of use

The claw we would call it
The claw, it shall reclaim the Earth
It shall make the weeds behave
Surrender and retreat

If I had an Aunt Helen, I wouldn’t have to
Ask my dead father, or convince my distracted Mom
I’d ride my bike since she lived
Exactly three miles down and on the corner
We would spend time together
Real time
The kind where she would talk
And I would listen
Sometimes she would ask
Me a question
“Are you okay, is your world
Still on kilter?”
Kilter, the word would make
Me think of a rocking chair
Broken, someone spastically rocking
Until it flipped over
She’d keep telling the story
The other ladybugs did not shun him
 Ignore him, or make him an outcast
She would say
How they made it a point, a very pointedly point
Acting like he was the same
 Exactly the same as everyone else
Like a person with only one eye, the other poked out
Or a crippled girl in a wheel chair with dribble
Running down her chin
People stopping to smile and say Hello Dear,
And walking by like there was no spit pooled on her shirt
Or the guy with the empty eye socket, looking at
Him full on, like there was still an eye there.
“And that was more disturbing, Aunt Helen would say,
Those other ladybugs creeping close to him, invading his space, the poor
Yellow ladybug. Forcing smiles,
Not giving him a voice.”
I would not understand
Distracted by the gold and red shimmers coming
In through the holes of her hat
Shining on strands of her hair
Something about a bug, and smiling
I would think
“Nature, in its wild unruly ways
 As much so as this garden
As much so as the breath you take in
And the breath you breathe out
Taking it in, forcing it out, or letting it out gently,”
She’d say
We would sit.
Still. Quiet for a moment.
Weeds growing despite all of her effort
To pull them
No chemicals to spray on them
Not My Aunt Helen
Not killing any living thing
Even for her food
I would have seen her actually harm a fly
Swat at it with rolled up newspaper
And laugh as she did it
So that would be confusing to me
As sayings and words come and go and people
Use them for things that don’t make sense
She’d make a game of swatting flies on our back porch
And mosquitoes.
“We’re all good for something,”
Her reply after a good swat on the table squishing
A speck of bloody mess
“But not flies, or mosquitoes, but your Aunt
Doesn’t know a thing,” she’d say,
“I don’t know a thing or two, or three
But I can swig with the best of them and keep my wits
About me, my wits, yes, that and my swing.”
I wouldn’t know what she means, but it would be
Something she’d say
My Aunt Helen
Spraying red hot sauce from Louisiana
Or the orange bottled ones on tables
Where we’d have coke and tacos
That and some dishwashing liquid, and some
Ground pepper, or Old Bay
The one the tourists would ask for
We would live near the beach
The homemade bug spray would be natural but stinky
I’d try just a drop on my finger        
To feel what the plants feel and what the bugs taste
“Anything to keep the bugs at bay,” a common
Aunt Helen saying
Not the ladybugs, that we would be talking about
The yellow ladybug
Only stopping to take grubs off leaves
 Worms a fat green, not really worms
Distorted feather pillows
All sewn up in separate lines
To fluff up their selves, slimy fat things
Squishing, never moving it would seem
The ones that eat up everything
Especially the tomatoes,
Eating holes through the leaves
The spray would not bother the bugs
She’d say “Bloody Hell!”
All the time except
Never ever in her garden
Not for her plants to hear
She would hate anyone who said the words
“Mother Fucker,” because “All women are
Beautiful especially mothers, and they are
More than fuckable.”
I would know this from listening to the conversation she
Would have had with my Mother
The spray would do nothing to the weeds
The green stalks just slightly bending their heads in shame
Continue to keep pulling
Her way
Through the radishes
 The carrots,
Hiding below ground
Green leafy stalks

Asparagus would be trickier
“Taking three years
To grow, the stupid blessed buggers.”
My Aunt Helen
Would have already said a million times before
All fluffy green cloud like stalks
Mistaken for weeds
Stubborn as poppies
My favorite
Big face like flowers that smell like fruit punch
Some peach, some white, some pink
“They need ants at their bottoms to bloom,”
She’d have said,
“Watch your step when you walk near them”
Pulling weeds
Tossing them aside
“Those blasted ants, the bloody buggers,
They have no purpose, but for robbing the
Fruits of our labor.”
Laughing at her own joke
Me not getting it because it would be vegetables not fruits
Throwing piles of long leaves, and grasses
 Paper cuts if I dragged my hands along them
She would throw them behind her in a pile for
The compost
A red stained wooden one
Full of egg shells, coffee grounds, and even shredded bills
Not with plastic see through letters
A handle to turn, many turns
I would crank the handle
Churning the compost for her

She would say,
“The ants, they stick together in piles
And rows, and perfect straight lines.
All one being it would seem.
Sometimes a few going off on their own
Sometimes not lines, but zigzags and squares
Some few, or several, maybe a lone one or two,
That’s what I’m trying to tell you.”
She would ask, “Does it depend on their job
Were they truly supportive of their queen or Taking
What crumbs they could for themselves?"
I wouldn’t answer, just look up at her through her hat
So she would know I am listening
“The birds I know a whole lot about, a whole lot,
More than one should know.”
 She’d wipe her brow, under a big floppy hat,
Wicker or something
Ones worn at the beach
Wipe her brow with the knuckles of her right hand
Smudge soil on her forehead
A spot on her nose
Bigger than the freckles on her face
It would annoy me
And I’d sit on my hands to keep from reaching out
To wipe off what wasn’t
My Aunt Helen.

“The worst thing about the yellow ladybug”

She would say,

“Is that it knew it was different.
And it was treated exactly the same.”

Just like all the other ladybugs on her tomato
Plants eating aphids, which is a fun word
I would think because

If I had an Aunt Helen
I would be eight years old forever
And I would follow her wherever she would go
Trying to make sense of her mumbles


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home